Featured Partner: KU Hillel
Each month, we feature the current needs of a local community organization. Listed below are ways to support the important work of KU Hillel. If you have any questions or to make a donation, please contact Beatrice Fine.
European Leadership Mission (ELM): KU Hillel’s ELM is a high-level winter break trip to Sofia, Bulgaria and Bucharest, Romania for 20 Jewish student leaders. The trip costs $1,000 which covers a round trip flight and all ground costs while in Europe. Participants are responsible for their domestic flight(s) and spending money.
· $500 will help subsidize trip costs for 1 KU Hillel student leader
· $1,000 will send one student on ELM who may otherwise not be able to attend
· $3,000 will allow KU Hillel to offer numerous scholarships for various students in need
Challah for Hunger: Challah for Hunger brings people together to bake and sell challah in an effort to raise money and awareness for social justice causes. KU Hillel student leaders started a chapter on KU’s campus this past school year and now are working to expand the program to the at-large community.
· $100 provides mixing bowls for the student organization
· $650 covers the entirety of initial baking supply costs
· $1,250 covers the costs of ongoing ingredient costs for challah bakes and sales for one year
Shabbat Around KU: KU Hillel inspires students to convene their Jewish friends for Shabbat dinners in their dorms, homes, apartments and Greek houses. The purpose of the Shabbat Around KU program is to teach students how to host a Shabbat dinner for their friends so they will continue to do so in their adult lives post graduation.
· $100 funds 1 Shabbat dinner for 10 students
· $500 funds 5 Shabbat dinners
· $2,500 funds 1 MEGA Shabbat Around KU Event in which more than 20 students will host dinners on one night across KU’s campus.
National Basketball Tournament & Shabbaton: This tournament brings Jewish college students from across the country together for a weekend of sport and community building. Housed annually at the University of Maryland Hillel, the tournament encompasses a memorable weekend where students from Hillels from across the country compete for the prized ‘Kiddish Cup’ and celebrate Shabbat together. Students are responsible for travel expenses.
· $250 subsidizes travel for 1 student
· $1,000 covers team registration costs
· $2,000 would allow KU Hillel to send two teams to compete