Each month we feature the current needs of a local community organization. Listed below are easy ways to support the important work of Jewish Vocational Service (JVS).
JVS believes: in the intrinsic work of all people; work gives people dignity, pride and freedom; and all people can flourish when they have the support they need.
JVS was established in 1949 as a place of refuge for displaced persons and WWII veterans looking to make a better life for themselves. Today, JVS continues to empower those who are facing barriers and are working towards goals of self-sufficiency.
Workforce Development - Empowering personal prosperity and economic stability through education, employment and entrepreneurship.
- $250 provides monthly bus passes for 4 clients to get to work
- $1,000 can provide 40 hours of career coaching
- $2,500 sponsors a workshop for 20 jobseekers to learn how to network
Community Integration - Encouraging all people to contribute to their community, and engage the community to be accessible and inclusive.
- $250 can buy backpacks, uniforms and school supplies for a refugee family with 3 kids
- $1,000 provides interpretation for a 4-session cultural orientation course
- $2,500 can cover rent and utilities for a family of 7 for one month as they establish themselves.
Health &Wellness - Engaging individuals in activities that promote healthy bodies, healthy minds and healthy relationships.
- $250 can provide garden supplies for Global Gardens growers to harvest produce for their family and community
- $1,000 can provide 8 hours of therapy, including the support of a trained mental health interpreter, for a client suffering from PTSD
- $2,500 can provide one semester of after school narrative therapy for refugee youth