A Donor Advised Fund is a personal charitable giving account that allows you to easily and efficiently support all of your favorite causes.
How does a Donor Advised Fund work?
- Your Donor Advised Fund is easily created with a tax-deductible minimum gift of $5,000 or more ($2,500 if you’re under age 35).
- You can make grants from your Fund to your favorite 501(c)(3) charities – local, national, Jewish or secular. You can even pay your synagogue dues through your Fund.
- You can make grants to charities right away or use your Fund as a “savings account” for future charitable gifts.
- Your Fund is professionally and prudently invested by the Foundation’s managers.
- Your charitable giving is handled through one source which reduces paper work and eliminates the administrative burden of saving individual tax receipts.
- Your charitable giving can be done online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can also give by text message!
For a limited time, the Foundation will match one grant to the Jewish organization of your choice in an amount equal to 10% of the initial contribution you made to open your fund, with a maximum match of $1,000.
We also offer incentives to current fundholders for referring new prospective Donor Advised Fund fundholders.
Benefits of a JCF Donor Advised Fund
You will receive an immediate charitable income tax deduction for contributions made to your Fund. You may contribute cash or transfer long-term appreciated property. When you transfer appreciated property you receive the greatest tax benefit by avoiding paying capital gains tax.
By organizing your charitable giving through one source, you avoid writing separate checks to multiple organizations and eliminate cumbersome record keeping. You can simply focus on the joy of giving.
You can securely access your Fund 24/7 to make gifts and monitor the activity and balance of your Fund online.
You will receive detailed quarterly reports of activity of your Fund including contributions received, grants made, income earned, administrative fees and the Fund balance.
Support the Growth of a Philanthropic Community
Your partnership enables the Foundation to provide philanthropic education programs which help inform donors about critical issues within the community and help develop the next generation of givers.
Create a Legacy of Charitable Giving
You can name your children, grandchildren, or others as successor advisors to your Fund. Successor advisors have the privilege of managing your Fund after your death and carrying on your philanthropic values and traditions.
Anne & Brian Scharf
“The Jewish Community Foundation’s matching incentive was a great bonus when we opened our new Donor Advised Fund. We used the matching grant to double our J-LEAD contribution which meant that even more money was available for our giving circle to allocate to impactful community programs.”
For more giving stories, visit Portraits of Generosity